Friday, July 11, 2008

The calm before the Bean

Okay, so I know I haven't posted in a while, and after being heckled from the cheap seats, I felt I better post something before things got out of hand. The lack of posts is for multiple reasons with the most prevalent being that there isn't much new to tell. We went to the doctor last week: everything looked good, Nikki & Bean are fine, and they sent us home. Went back today and same result. The only real news is that Nikki's ankles are starting to swell pretty consistently, but the doctor did say this was normal and to be expected. Oh, and the "real" news is that the doctor cleared Nikki to get a pedicure—saying it was perfectly safe and that she should make herself feel good.

Truth be told, I think we've entered the calm before the storm. Our weeks are numbered, things are mostly in place, and we're just cruising along…but we're close enough to hear the thunder in the distance, and there are days where I think Nikki is planting lightning rods trying to bring the storm in closer, sooner. But all good things come to those who wait.

Additionally, we are still currently in the middle of our latest round of visitors (Nancy and Laura), and they are keeping Nikki pretty content while I focus on getting work done. As usual, I will post information on their visit when its over and I've had time to think somewhat reflectively on the visit and/or fully explain how much we appreciate all they have done during their stay--which has been a lot.

Today's other news: We had our 4th baby shower (Nikki's office hosted it), and it was a really nice event. We owe many chemistry department faculty and staff our deepest thanks. I didn't get any photos as I had to teach my summer course beforehand and I forgot the camera at home, but I think Nancy has some photos, so perhaps I will include shots of that in the future.

In the meantime, enjoy the four photos below showing the Bean construction over the past 8-9 months (the first around Jan 20, the second around Feb 20, the third April 20, the last being last night--the 20 oz. water bottle is there for size reference...and note she is slouching in that reclining gliding chair. I would have got one of her posing like the others, but her ankles were swollen and bothering her and there was no need to make her stand if she didn't have to).








































_____________________________
http://www.clemson.edu/~hodgson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for the update Justin! :-)

Nikki, I'm thinking of you often. Hang in there during these last weeks. Love you!

Jill