Monday, March 16, 2009

Guests, Food Poisoning, and A Trip Out West: what a week

My extended absence from posting has been the combined result of a serious battle with food poisoning and a 4 day excursion to San Francisco...but we'll get to those things in due time.

On March 6th, Nancy and Joe came for their latest visit. Aside from just wanting to come down, they had specifically planned to be here and give Nikki a hand with Gavin while I was in San Francisco--which is something we really appreciated.

On March 7th, we all went out to lunch at Moe's in downtown Clemson. I was the only one who ordered the pork on my burrito...and lucky me, I ordered double meet! Four hours later, the initial grumblings began. An hour after that, severe stomach pain. After that, my body began to expel everything. At one point, I think I saw the rear tires off a Hotwheel's car I accidentally swallowed when I was 8 years old. I believe the saying is "turning oneself inside out." A few hours later, Nikki and I ended up at the emergency room: uncontrollable shakes, difficult breathing, numbness in limbs--all sure signs you should probably go to ER. Roughly about 5 am we made our way back home, with most of the symptoms under control. Luckily, because Nancy and Joe were here, Gavin didn't have to go to the hospital with us...no need exposing him to that kind of infestation. So, of all the times to get food poisoning, this was, I guess, "opportune."

Slept most of the day March 8. Liquids only--and limitedly so.

Began recovering well March 9. Crackers and a sandwich!!! Felt not so great that night.

March 10 went to work. Marginally better.

March 11 drove to Charlotte to fly to San Francisco. Right up until I boarded the plane, I debated cancelling the trip and returning home . But, upon landing in San Francisco, I started feeling noticeably better and got better each day during my stay out there--good thing I didn't have to do my presentation until Saturday.

Took the "red eye" home from SF on March 14/15. Got back in time to have breakfast with Nancy, Joe, Nikki, and Gavin before returning to Greenville airport with them so they could fly home.

It was, to say the least, quite a whirlwind past several days.

Aside from my dramatics, I think everyone else had a fairly enjoyable visit. Nancy and Joe even spent several days in a row as Gavin's daytime care provider. I'm not quite sure who had the most fun in that exchange...I think everyone learned some new tricks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

new post! new post! new post!

just kidding, i know how busy you are down there. just wanted to rattle your cage a little and say hello.

:)